Saturday, November 1, 2008

Spencer Boy: Post #1: I Am So Proud Of HER!!!!!!

I have to say that I believe that I am breaking Man Law #123: Men should never blog. Needless to say, I feel compelled to write this blog myself as I am so very glad to have the opportunity to brag on my wife. (I could do this everyday, as she is a wonderful wife and mother, but this time she won a big prize)
Last weekend, I had the opportunity to be my wife's guest as she was recognized as being one of the top 100 teachers in Florida to show learning gains on the 2007 Florida Comprehensive Achievement Test. (FCAT) I must say that I think that I was more excited hearing about her award than I was hearing that I was the Highlands County Teacher of the Year. I kept trying to tell people that not only was I not the best teacher in the county, but I wasn't even the best teacher in the house. I am very proud to say that this helped prove my case!
Angie was treated to two days at the Lake Buena Vista Hotel and Spa and a variety of guest speakers. I was looking forward to a day of lounging around the hot tub and catching a new movie. Unfortunately, my day of spa treatment was spent at the Tire Kingdom. (This is a blog in itself) While I was there Angie was given an excellent lunch and then was inspired by Ron Clark. Ron Clark is a teacher and founder of the Ron Clark Academy in Atlanta, GA. I was very jealous as he is what all teachers should strive to be. Angie said that he did not disappoint.
After that Jeb Bush talked to the outstanding teachers and told them that since they did such a wonderful job and the sponsors were so generous they would be receiving 1,700 dollars instead of the expected 1,000. (This paid for my trip to the Tire Kingdom)
Finally, I was able to come and enjoy the evening with Angie and swell with pride while my wife was recognized. Highlands County was very well represented as Kendra Fout (my teammate from Woodlawn) and Patricia Carter (gifted teacher in Lake Placid). Each of them were brought on stage after a wonderful speech given by Debbie Phelps. They were given a twenty pound award (not exaggerating) , a free 7 day cruise from Royal Caribbean, two tickets to Disney World and Sea World, two tickets to have lunch with an astronaut, and many other gift certificates. Jeb knows how to throw a party!!
More than all the prizes and the recognition, I was just proud to be the man behind the wife. She works so hard to do what is best for children. She has taught me quite a bit about teaching and I am so happy that people are starting to notice. Words cannot express how proud I am of her!!!! I guess I will keep her for another few years! =)

5 comments:

Heidi said...

So glad Jon has joined the blogging world!! He has much to contribute!

And Go Angie! We're proud of you!!

One talented and special family!

Wendy said...

Congrats Angie! Just heard the good news and am so happy for you!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Angie! What a wonderful accomplishment. Thanks, Jon for sharing with us.

Robyn said...

WOW! That is really awesome! You are both so awesome and truly humble!

Thanks for sharing Jon!

Dawn said...

Okay I wish I had read this before I saw you today!! How absolutely wonderful!!! I would have said congratulations. This is so great I would love for you (and maybe John LOL) come and guest teach in my class one day. It is quite enjoyable and creative of which you both are awesome at!! Just a thought:) Seriously, pick a Letter of the alphabet and come do some cool projects.....Think about it!!