He went by many names: Charles, Uncle Charlie, Chaz, Dad, but NEVER Chuck. I knew him simply as Grandpa. I lost my grandpa this past Monday after a long life of 94 years. Today we will say our final good-byes, but I wanted to share what my memories were of this Originator of Firsts. To be honest I am not sure if Originator is a word, but I think the name fits.
I am sure that you find this true as well, but I think those of us who are blessed to have known our grandparents tend to gravitate to one of them to form a special bond. I loved every one of my grandparents, but there was something about Grandpa Spencer and I that just clicked. My son Peyton loves superheros like Superman, Batman, Iron Man, and especially Spider-Man. Grandpa Spencer was my superhero and I was blessed to have this superhero impacting my life for 31 years.
You may be wondering why I call him the Originator of Firsts. Well, this week I have been able to do a lot of reflecting while spending time with my family. I realized that Grandpa introduced me to many firsts. Here are a few:
1. He was the first to show me how to shoot a shotgun.
~See I used to hunt too, clay pigeons not deer though
2. He was the first to take me fishing.
~Blue Gill ran in fear of our fishing skills
3. He was the first to teach me not to wear a hat at the dinner table
~My ribs are still sore from the elbows I received when I tried to test this lesson
4. He was the first to teach me Gin Rummy
5. He was the first to teach me you are never too young to put money on Gin Rummy
~He started taking my allowance at the age of 7
6. He was the first to teach me the game of eight ball (pool)
~I learned not to bet with the man after this
7. He was the first to take me 18 holes of golfing
~I scored lower then than I do now
8. He taught me you should hit your woods just like you hit your irons
~Easier said than done
9. He was the first to teach me the words to "I'm An Old Cowhand"
~We never got our duet recorded
10. He was the first to introduce me to the grandparent "Cookie/Candy Drawer"
~I have since come to learn that all grandparents have such a drawer to spoil grandchildren
11. He was the reason I looked forward to trips to the park

12. He was the first to teach me the term "Chick Magnet"
~Although he never used this word, it seemed when ever the two of us would go to Mustard's or Ponderosa that some lady (not my age) would come and sit with us because they thought it was so cute that Grandpa would bring his grandson to dinner. (One even invited herself back to his house to watch the IU game with us, he declined) I wonder if that is why he took me out so much?!? =)
Although, his last few years have been hard, I have not had to experience some of the mental difficulties that he at times showed. He would at times forget who people were or where he was. It seemed as though when I was able to visit with him that familiarity came back. Maybe it was just my wishful thinking, but he always seemed to perk up with my children and I would come to visit. I loved hearing stories about his adventures in Venezula and during World War II. He loved all of his great grandchildren.
My last visit with Grandpa Spencer was the end of the summer before school started. He has just broken his hip and had major surgery. For a moment they did not think that he was going to make it through the night. He was in very bad shape. The next morning, he had perked up and was able to take visitors. I was able to take Brady and Peyton to see their great-grandpa. They played the hospital bed version of tag and they both climbed up in bed with grandpa and snuggled. (They don't even do that with daddy) It was something to watch. We then had to come home.
That was the last time I saw Grandpa Spencer. Today, we say good-bye to my hero. I will miss him more than most will know. It has not sunk in yet that when I come back to Indiana to visit I will not be going over to have a "bedside" chat with Grandpa Spencer. That will be hard, but I know that he will never be gone because parts of him will live on in many of those that he has touched.
When we told Peyton that grandpa had gone to heaven he looked at me and said, "Daddy, I'm sad that Grandpa has to go to heaven. I am going to miss him." Peyton, I am going to miss my hero too!

6 comments:
SO GLAD that Jon broke Man Rule #123! What great posts. You wrote so well about those most important to your in life. I hope there will be more to come! We're thinking and praying for you and your family.
Such an awesome tribute! I'm sure your Hero is smiling down from Heaven!!
Gosh, Jon! You've broke Man Rule #123 and made someone you barely know cry. What an awesome tribute to your grandfather. I know he is proud of you!
I love the old newspaper print. What special memories. Thanks for sharing them...be sure to print this pricless post for your kids! You all have been in our thoughts and prayers this past week.
Jon Thanks for being willing to share about your grandfather. I am glad to have had the opportunity to have met him. It was and is very obvious the role he played in your life.
I shared many a dinner table with Charles and Margy many years ago. He was certainly a larger than life kind of guy. He was also not afraid to speak his mind and I have always admired that.
We would all sit around the table & I would hear my grandfather Dr. Tom Lamb trade stories with Charles, Margy & Ursula about the Second World War. You got the feeling that they hated it but wouldn't have missed it for the world.
Now Charles and Margy are together again and for that I am thankful.
Post a Comment