Friday, August 8, 2008

Yes, the Bible has Superheroes but we've got a few of our own running around these days too.

In the last several years (and of course, when I was little) I have really enjoyed reading my bible more consistently and learning verses and stories I never knew existed. There are countless stories of inspiration and examples of people following God wholeheartedly. But (and maybe I'm out in left field on this one) sometimes the people in the Bible seem like, well, Bible Superheroes. They seem to have superpowers that us normal, everyday people could never posess. I mean, I don't know about the rest of you but if I was swallowed by a big fish, or had to walk through a huge body of water, or oh, I don't know, spending an evening in a den of lions. . .I'm just not so sure I would handle those situations as well as Noah, Moses, and Daniel did. And they are wonderful example of the fact that, with God, we can have "superpowers." He can do anything, bring us through anything-even a den of lions but I'm not so sure if that had been me instead of Daniel we would have needed to worry about the lions because I'm pretty sure the heart attack I would have had when I was first dropped into the den would have got me first. Anyway, I promise I am going somewhere with all of this. For me, I love hearing how the Bible Superheroes did it but I also love hearing of people walking here on this Earth with us right now who are Superheroes in their own right. So let me tell you about one of those superheroes-Jordan.



Jordan is my "little" cousin who is about to leave for college in a week or two. This past Sunday he had a farewall concert at his church. He has been involved with piano and voice lessons since he was little, started playing with a youth praise band in middle school, began with his church's praise band in early high school and also plays events with a local band (mostly oldies-60s, 70s, 80s). Believe me when I say the life he has lived thus far is already a testament to God, but I have a feeling this is just the beginning. He already has a wonderful testimony about following God's will which is the story I'm going to share.



Like a lot of other seniors in high school Jordan began researching his choices for college early. He had pretty much narrowed it down to three: UF, Samford in Alabama, and Stetson. He quickly ruled out UF and decided to go to a place where he could focus on his passion: music, and would also be able receive a more christian-centered education. Anyway, in the midst of this, Jordan and some other musicians travelled to The Cove (Billy Graham's retreat) where he had a conversation with Charles Billingsley (a Christian musician). He told Jordan he might want to check out Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia. So Jordan checked but he wasn't instantly wowed. Stetson and Samford were still his top picks. He eventually would have an audition at all three schools. He felt a draw to Liberty University but he wasn't sure why because he really didn't want to go there. So he made a deal with God (now, none of the rest of us have ever done that, uh?) "God, if I make one of Liberty's ministry teams I'll go to Liberty." Well, Jordan wasn't picked for any of the ministry teams at Liberty. So easy decision right? Back to his first two choices. Well, Jordan just couldn't let go of the thought of attending Liberty (dang that Holy Spirit) even though, not only did Samford and Stetson want Jordan to be in some of their music ministries but both schools were offering him money to attend their schools. But, ultimately, through prayer and discernment far beyond his years Jordan realized God wanted him at Liberty, where he wouldn't be singing on a ministry team, no one would be giving him money to go to school there, and he would be much farther away from home. And, if the story stopped here it would still be a great example of a young kid following God's will for his life but the good news is Jordan has already seen the benefits of doing just that. About three weeks ago Jordan received a call from the director of the ministry teams at Liberty. He told Jordan that one of the ministry team members had just decided not to return this fall and the spot was Jordan's if he wanted it. Well, yes, he wanted it and . . .his $16,000 tutition is paid for! I'm sure Jordan wasn't always sure the Liberty thing would work out (just as I'm sure Daniel wasn't always sure the lion thing would work out either) but he had faith that God was leading him exactly where he wanted him to be and he followed. See I told you-Modern Day Superhero!

4 comments:

Cathy said...

OK, my sweet and precious niece who I couldn't love more - but have never been more CRAZY ABOUT than right now! You had me blubbering before I got to the "good" part of the story about Jordan and Liberty. Thank you, thank you. Never stop writing. You have an AMAZING gift. I love you!! Aunt Cathy

Heidi S said...

Great post...greater God! It's going to be neat to see what God does in Jordan's life.

Bianca said...

So I totally plagiarized you - since I couldn't sum things up better than you, I just put a link to your story in my blog. =) It was so good to see you and your adorable kids last weekend! Hope we can get together again sometime soon!

Dawn said...

Hey, Angie I graduated from Liberty. I was an el. ed. major and thought about auditioning for one of the teams (and it was very competitive back then can only imagine what it is like now), but God put me in an RA position and I couldn't do both. Absolutely loved it!!!!! Which ministry team did he make it on. Curious?