Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Christmas Village

My Grandma Frances has had this Christmas village my whole life. When we were little and would go out to cut our own Christmas trees we would also collect what we called "deer moss" for the greenery in the village. There are all these cute little houses with openings in the back for the lights to be stuck into and over the years my grandma has added a few pieces here and there. The center of the village is the Nativity, of course. This year, I learned that my grandma has had the village since they lived in Columbia, South America. So, the village is 50-something years old.

This year, on Christmas Eve, I happened to catch Rylee playing with the village. At first, I thought it was just her usual playing with dolls, talking and laughing with the little people of the village ( I resisted the urge to use the phrase "village people" there...believe me, it was tough). But, as I listened closer (and grabbed my camera) I realized she was having all the people coming to the center of the village to see Baby Jesus. This is one of the reasons I am so thankful to have a camera to record these moments I, otherwise, may have forgot.

0 comments: